Despite an entire leadership group sitting in the stands, the GIANTS showed their heart and never-surrender attitude to win a huge battle against the Magpies at GIANTS Stadium.

With Phil Davis (soreness), Callan Ward (knee), Stephen Coniglio (knee), Josh Kelly (calf) and Matt de Boer (shoulder) watching on, the GIANTS stunned the Magpies with an eight-goal opening term to set up the victory.

The visitors staged a couple of comebacks after the first change but never got close enough to seriously challenge the GIANTS, the home side prevailing 19.8 (122) to 11.9 (79) in front of 15,467 fans at GIANTS Stadium.

Coleman Medal leader Jeremy Cameron was outstanding with six goals for the GIANTS, while Harry Himmelberg (four) and Jeremy Finlayson (three) also provided strong targets.

Captain for the night Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield, Tim Taranto and Zac Williams led the GIANTS' depleted midfield division, while defenders Heath Shaw and Nick Haynes were rocks in the back 50. 

Star Magpies ruckman Brodie Grundy (31 disposals, 48 hit outs, nine tackles and 10 clearances) carried on his fine form against Shane Mumford and Dawson Simpson, while Taylor Adams and Adam Treloar combined for 66 possessions and 15 clearances.

The GIANTS started well when Finlayson took a strong mark and kicked the game's opener in a sign of what was in store for the Magpies.

Playing the kind of footy that has been missing in recent weeks, trademarked by ferocious intensity around the footy and slick ball movement, the GIANTS piled on 8.2 for the quarter.

Cameron (three goals and five marks), Finlayson (three and four) and Himmelberg (two goals) capitalised on a telling advantage in the inside 50 count (19-11) and the trio turned back the clock to their early season form.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley unloaded a savage dressing down to his players at the break and they responded.

In stark contrast to the way they began the contest, the Magpies were the aggressors around the footy in the second quarter, and with Grundy influential all over the ground, Steele Sidebottom, Treloar and Adams enjoyed their big man's best work to find plenty of the footy.

The only issue for the Pies was they couldn't turn it into scoreboard pressure.

Ben Crocker kicked what looked like being the only two goals of the quarter, until a late one for Himmelberg kept the GIANTS 36 points up at half-time.

Small defender Sam Reid floated forward to give the GIANTS a perfect start to the third term inside a minute, but Sidebottom and Pendlebury replied with two quick goals to cut their deficit to 30 points.

The home side then took its turn to grab control with the next three majors to lead by 46 points, but Collingwood managed two late ones to keep themselves in the match with a quarter to play.

A long bomb on the run from Pendlebury was an ideal start to the last for the Pies and they closed to within 28 points, but a brilliant snap from deep in the pocket from Greene steadied the GIANTS.

They added three more in quick succession to seal an important win.


GIANTS: The home side got away without any new injury concerns.

Collingwood: The Magpies came through the match mostly unscathed, although Chris Mayne sat out the closing part of the game with ice on his knee. 

The Pies have a massive clash against Richmond at the MCG on Friday night, while the Giants are on the road against Port Adelaide on Saturday night. 

GIANTS   8.2   9.2   13.5  19.8 (122)
COLLINGWOOD 1.1   3.2    7.7   11.9 (75)

GIANTS: Cameron 6, Finlayson 4, Himmelberg 3, Greene 2, Daniels, Reid, Simpson, Hill
Collingwood: Brown 2, Crocker 2, Pendlebury 2, Sier, Sidebottom, Hoskin-Elliott, De Goey, Grundy

GIANTS: Cameron, Taranto, Williams, Greene, Whitfield, Shaw
Collingwood: Grundy, Adams, Crisp, Treloar, Sidebottom

Collingwood: Mayne (knee)

Reports: Nil

: Meredith, Williamson, Wallace

Official crowd: 15,467 at GIANTS Stadium