A Toby Greene special has snatched a fourth-straight win at GMHBA Stadium for the GIANTS, getting over the top of a surging Geelong by four points on Saturday evening.

For the first time in Chris Scott's 14 years at the helm Geelong has lost four consecutive games, as the GIANTS finished 11.12 (78) to 11.8 (74) winners.

The GIANTS stretched their lead to 31 points early in the third quarter, before five-straight Cats goals had the home crowd on its feet. But it wasn't to be in Hawkins' record-breaking game as Greene broke the run to put the GIANTS back in front with seven minutes remaining, a lead which was never again ceded.

Jake Riccardi was powerful inside 50 for the GIANTS, noting the attention the Cats paid to teammates Jesse Hogan (five marks, two goals) and Greene (24 disposals, two goals), sneaking into pockets of space and crashing packs to kick four goals from 11 touches.

After the GIANTS' took charge in the second quarter – kicking their highest single term score of the year – Geelong slowly worked its way back in, thanks to the work of Max Holmes (32 disposals, one goal) and Tanner Bruhn (21 disposals, one goal).

Hawkins' two goals were bolts of energy for the Cats – and their fans – throughout the night, while Tyson Stengle shook off a quiet first half to slam home two final-quarter goals to square up the scoreboard late.

Geelong's manic front-half pressure was oppressive in the opening term, worrying the Giants into over possessing the ball and ultimately turning it over. The Cats often trapped the GIANTS tight up on one wing, and defended it beautifully, meaning the visitors were at a loss whenever trying to exit defence.

It was a neat balance around the contest that allowed the Cats midfielders to be really proactive and attacking early, watching their GIANTS counterparts get drawn to the ball while maintaining their own space as outlets.

But at centre stoppages the GIANTS simply dominated, leading the centre clearance count 11-4 at half-time, and eventually winning the metric 16-7. Kieren Briggs' work in the ruck (43 hitouts, eight clearances) was also a key driver in the area.

A shoulder injury to Stephen Coniglio in the first quarter, with him subsequently subbed out in the second, threatened to derail that strength at the contest, but the likes of James Peatling (18 disposals, six clearances) and Finn Callaghan (24 disposals, six clearances) rose to fill the gap.

Both teams were determined to use the corridor to break through defensive structures and generate attack. Although the Cats landed the early blows by slicing through the GIANTS, with a Gryan Miers kick inside resulting in an impressive Tanner Bruhn goal from outside 50 in the first quarter, the GIANTS were able to hit back in similar fashion.

The GIANTS expertly unsettled a Geelong defence whose brand is being difficult to score against. Although star Cat Tom Stewart was working toward limiting Toby Greene, Xavier O'Halloran enjoyed a role disrupting Stewart's movement down back.

Restricting Stewart had a flow-on effect, making the Geelong’s defence vulnerable on turnover – something that has been a growing problem in recent weeks for Chris Scott's side.

But it became inconsequential late as Geelong squeezed up high, applying enough pressure up the field to release the valve on its defensive unit.

GEELONG                                   5.0    6.2     9. 5     11.8 (74)
GIANTS                                       2.4    8.9    10.12   11.12 (78)


Geelong: Hawkins 2, Stengle 2, Close, Bruhn, Tuohy, Kolodjashnij, Holmes, Cameron, Neale
GIANTS: Riccardi 4, Hogan 2, Greene 2, Daniels, Cadman, O'Halloran


Geelong: Holmes, Bruhn, Tuohy, Guthrie, Stengle
GIANTS: Riccardi, Greene, Briggs, Green, Taylor, Aleer


Geelong: Nil
GIANTS: Coniglio (left shoulder), Perryman (left hamstring)


Geelong: Jack Bowes (replaced Toby Conway in the final quarter)
GIANTS: Toby McMullin (replaced Stephen Coniglio in the second quarter)

Crowd: 30,821 at GMHBA Stadium