GIANTS coach Leon Cameron has declared Callan Ward ready to go when footy resumes next month.

Ward, 30, hasn’t played any football since suffering a season ending knee injury in round four last year against Geelong.

The unscheduled break in the 2020 season means that the former co-captain is taking part in full training and expected to be available for round two.

Speaking with the media at the GIANTS training facility on Wednesday, Cameron said it would be a balancing act to ensure Ward has a suitable preparation considering the lack of second tier football.

"The challenge is does he need a game or two [before playing in the AFL side]? And you weigh that up between his training and seeing where he's at in the three and a half weeks," said Cameron.

"Going on what I've seen in this short amount of time and prior to when we broke, he was knocking on the door. He's 30 years old, we trust our ex-captain to play a come out and play a really good brand of footy from the start.

"If we don't think he's ready [by round two] then we'll give him another week. Right now there's probably no reason to hold him back."

Callan Ward would be a welcome addition to the GIANTS midfield.

Cameron and the GIANTS have returned to the club with a relatively clean bill of health with only two players (housemates Tim Taranto and Matthew Flynn) likely to miss extended periods of the season.

"Tim Taranto is probably about eight to nine weeks away," he said.

"Clearly there's going to be a benefit in the stop-start season for a number of clubs with players who've had injuries, and Tim will have that benefit which is great for our reigning best and fairest."

Flynn meanwhile is progressing well and is expected to be available in six weeks.

Tim Taranto is expected to return in July.